Tasty Tuesday – Weekly gym challenges

I’m going to try something new with Tasty Tuesdays. Each week I’m going to set a simple challenge, there will be 19 challenges. The idea is that each week is cumulative, so challenge one is continued during all 19 weeks, challenge two for the remaining 18 etc. At the end of the course if you have stuck with it, been honest with yourself and put everything into practice, not only will you be in the shape of your life, you will have the tools in place to keep a sustainable nutrition lifestyle. A good idea for your own records is to take a picture in your underwear at the start of this and then take the EXACT SAME PICTURE (not under different lighting, differently positioned clothing or with a tan) at the end (if you want weekly updates you can take a picture on the same day each week).

Water Goal 1

Step 1 is to drink 1 liter of water per day. You are welcome to drink more than 1 liter of water, but never less. This step is a minimum not a maximum. To facilitate water tracking, you can find a 1 liter bottle in just about any store, glass is best, steel is next and BPA free is acceptable.

Water and water alone counts towards your water goal. If you add lemon or lime juice, that water does not count toward the goal. Once you consume 1 liter of plain water, you are welcome to add freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice (do not buy lime/lemon juice) into water.

Drinking water is the first step because of its importance to our performance. Next to oxygen, water is the most important substance in the human body. It is used in every metabolic process (digestion, assimilation, elimination, respiration, and maintaining body temperature). If you are not drinking enough water, you are inhibiting nutrient and oxygen delivery to your brain and muscles, and you are slowing down your metabolic fat burning process.

Your body is 50-60% water overall. Fat tissue is 20% water, and muscle, brains, and blood are all about 80% water. This means hydration levels affect both your mental and physical performance as well as your overall heath.

Dehydration is defined as a loss of water equal to 1% + of bodyweight. If you are 70kg that is only 700g (ml), so if you are not actively drinking water throughout the day, you are dehydrated. Thirst is most commonly perceived between 1-2% bodyweight loss in water, but your metabolic process start suffering long before that (at about .5% bodyweight loss). Because we can become dehydrated so easily, don’t wait to get thirsty to drink water. Get ahead-drink early and often.

Ideally your water consumption should be spread out throughout the day. For example, if you drink 1 liter of water by 10am, I would recommend still taking in fluids throughout the rest of the day. For example, you could have a glass of green tea with lunch and sparkling water with lime with dinner.
You are not just what you eat; you are also what you drink…or don’t drink!

Stay ahead of the curve and drink water throughout the day. Your objective for step 1 is to drink 1 liter of water per day. More if you like, but never less. drop-of-water-545377_960_720


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s